Hipchat Licensing and Purchasing
Our FAQ contains the most frequently asked questions relating to our licensing and pricing. Of course, if you would like to talk to us directly, please contact our Sales Team.
Data Center Licenses
- ¿Por qué Atlassian ya no ofrece Hipchat Server?
- What is Hipchat Data Center?
- What does Hipchat Data Center cost?
- How do I evaluate Hipchat Data Center?
- What is the difference between Hipchat Data Center and Stride?
- In what situations would you recommend Hipchat Data Center vs. Stride?
- Does this mean that Hipchat Data Center will no longer receive investment?
- What does it cost to renew my Hipchat Data Center license?
- How do I renew my Hipchat Server license?
- What does it cost to upgrade my Hipchat Data Center license?
- Can I migrate from Hipchat Data Center to Stride?
- I am on a Hipchat Server community license, do I get a community license for Hipchat Data Center?
- Do I get access to the Hipchat source code?
- Can I obtain a new Hipchat Data Center community license?
- How is Hipchat Data Center licensed?
- What will happen to Hipchat Cloud?
- Do you plan to sunset Hipchat Cloud?
- How is Stride different than Hipchat Cloud?
- What features does Stride offer that Hipchat Cloud doesn't?
- Will my Hipchat Cloud apps and bots work with Stride?
- Are there any changes to how rooms are managed in Hipchat Cloud versus Stride?
- What does Stride cost?
Data Center Licenses
1. Why is Atlassian no longer offering Hipchat Server?
Queríamos mantener un sistema de licencias sencillo y heterogéneo ofreciendo una opción de suscripción única para nuestra solución de chat autoalojado. Hipchat Data Center dispone de las funcionalidades de Hipchat Server que ya conoces y adoras, además de nuevas ventajas como una alta disponibilidad y escalabilidad, y un sistema de autenticación y control mejorado. Más información.
If you are an existing Hipchat Server customer, you do not have to move to Hipchat Data Center right away. Hipchat Server will continue to be supported according to our standard end of life policy. However, we strongly encourage that you begin to make this transition as soon as you can to get the continued benefits that will come with Hipchat Data Center.
Once you move to Hipchat Data Center, you can continue to run Hipchat as a single node with externalized data stores if your Hipchat instance serves less than 2000 users. See the System requirements for Hipchat Data Center deployment to learn more about when to run a one, two, or three node deployment.
2. What is Hipchat Data Center?
Hipchat Data Center is the self-hosted enterprise messaging, built for teams. It brings you all the great features of Hipchat Server, and added new enterprise grade features that allow you to cluster three nodes for uninterrupted communications and instant scalability when you need it.
3. What does Hipchat Data Center cost?
Hipchat Data Center is an annual term license starting at $10 for 10 users. Hipchat Data Center is an annual term license regardless of the number of nodes. Hipchat Data Center licenses do expire and are not perpetual like our server licenses.
|1 - 10 Users||US $10||US $10|
|11 - 25 Users||US $1,800||US $900|
|26 - 50 Users||US $3,300||US $1,650|
|51 - 100 Users||US $6,000||US $3,000|
|101 - 250 Users||US $12,000||US $6,000|
|251 - 500 Users||US $16,000||US $8,000|
|501 - 1,000 Users||US $24,000||US $12,000|
|1,001 - 2,000 Users||US $48,000||US $24,000|
|2,001 - 3,000 Users||US $72,000||US $36,000|
|3,001 - 4,000 Users||US $96,000||US $48,000|
|4,001 - 5,000 Users||US $120,000||US $60,000|
|5,001 - 6,000 Users||US $144,000||US $72,000|
|6,001 - 7,000 Users||US $168,000||US $84,000|
|7,001 - 8,000 Users||US $192,000||US $96,000|
|8,001 - 9,000 Users||US $216,000||US $108,000|
|9,001 - 10,000 Users||US $240,000||US $120,000|
|10,001 - 15,000 Users||US $264,000||US $132,000|
|15,001 - 20,000 Users||US $288,000||US $144,000|
You can create a quote for a new license purchase through the Atlassian Store.
4. How do I evaluate Hipchat Data Center?
To evaluate Hipchat Data Center, you can create an evaluation license for Hipchat Data Center in My Atlassian. The Hipchat Data Center download files for AWS and VMware can be found here.
5. What is the difference between Hipchat Data Center and Stride?
At their core, both Hipchat Data Center and Stride are team communication tools with the goal of supporting team collaboration. Although there may be some overlap in features, they are two separate products built for two different deployment use cases. They also leverage different technology and have different feature sets.
The primary difference between Hipchat Data Center and Stride is the deployment model - Hipchat Data Center is self-hosted and Stride is in the Atlassian Cloud.
More specific feature differences between Hipchat Data Center and Stride today include:
- Identity management: Hipchat Data Center supports SAML and integration with active directory. Stride does not currently support SAML, but will soon.
- Actions and Decisions: Provide structure for on-topic, productive communication and tie your team's conversations to action-oriented outcomes. Mark any message as an Action or Decision with a single click.
6. In what situations would you recommend Hipchat Data Center vs. Stride?
We recommend Hipchat Data Center if you're in a highly regulated industry such as healthcare or finance, have compliance requirements, are a governmental agency, or just prefer to run self-hosted software. Hipchat Data Center complements our other self-hosted products with seamless integrations. And if you are committed to standardizing on Atlassian self-hosted products, Hipchat Data Center is the right choice for your team.
On the other hand, Stride is the complete communication solution built to best meet the current and future needs of our cloud customers. Stride gives you the tools to go beyond messaging with collaboration tools like Actions and Decisions. Re-architected from the ground up, we believe that Stride is the best option for any team looking for a cloud solution.
7. Does this mean that Hipchat Data Center will no longer receive investment?
No, Hipchat Data Center will continue to be our self-hosted team communication offering while Stride focuses on serving our cloud customers. We are doubling down on Hipchat Data Center to provide our self-hosted customers with an experience customized for their needs.
8. What does it cost to renew my Hipchat Data Center license?
Hipchat Data Center is an annual term license. To continue using your Hipchat Data Center instance after your initial 12 months you will pay the full license cost at the time of renewal. See above for pricing.
9. How do I renew my Hipchat Server license?
The renewal quote received around 90 days prior to expiration will include the renewal as Hipchat Data Center. The same payment options for renewals apply. Upon completion of the renewal, the license will display Hipchat Data Center.
10. What does it cost to upgrade my Hipchat Data Center license?
Hipchat Data Center upgrades are charged at a pro-rated amount for the remainder of the term license. To determine the exact upgrade cost please use our online quote and order form here.
11. Can I migrate from Hipchat Data Center to Stride?
We don't currently have a mechanism to migrate customers from Hipchat Data Center to Stride, however, this is something we will offer in the future.
12. I am on a Hipchat Server community license, do I get a community license for Hipchat Data Center?
Yes, as an existing Hipchat Server customer, you will continue to have access to a community license on Hipchat Data Center.
13. Do I get access to the Hipchat source code?
No, Hipchat Data Center does not include access to source code.
14. Can I obtain a new Hipchat Data Center community license?
Yes, community licenses are available for Hipchat Data Center. You may request a new Hipchat Data Center Community license by completing our Community License Request Form.
15. How is Hipchat Data Center licensed?
A Hipchat Data Center commercial/academic/starter license entitles you to:
- Deploy a single instance of Hipchat in a production environment on a single node or three nodes by the number of users licensed
- Unlimited chat rooms, one-to-one video chat, file and screen sharing
- Annual Term use of Hipchat Data Center
- Software maintenance for 12 months - including all updates and online support
An academic license is available for qualified educational and academic institutions (learn more).
Please read the Atlassian Customer Agreement for more details.
1. What will happen to Hipchat Cloud?
Starting soon, we will begin to upgrade all Hipchat Cloud teams to Stride. Hipchat Cloud will continue to work as it does today until your team upgrades to Stride. After upgrading, Hipchat Cloud will remain in 'read-only' mode so that you can reference your API configuration in Hipchat Cloud and receive integration notifications for those apps that are not yet in Stride.
2. Do you plan to sunset Hipchat Cloud?
For now, Hipchat Cloud will continue to be supported, but eventually we will encourage all Hiphat Cloud customers to upgrade to Stride.
3. How is Stride different than Hipchat Cloud?
Hipchat Cloud was the first real enterprise messaging platform - it made the biggest transformation in how we work that our generation has ever seen. It created a completely new product category called "Group Chat."
Stride is a brand new product - a complete team communication solution built for the future to meet teams' ever-evolving needs in the workplace. It not only has group messaging, but also native voice and video conferencing, and built-in collaboration tools. Built from the ground up, Stride is reliable, robust, and intelligent - all to help you work better with your team.
4. What features does Stride offer that Hipchat Cloud doesn't?
Stride gives you the tools to go beyond messaging with reliable communication tools like Meetings (video and voice conferencing) and collaboration tools like Actions and Decisions, which lets you isolate important tasks and decisions from your chat thread so they can easily be found and acted on.
If you'd like to see all that Stride has to offer, check out our 'How It Works' page for a full description of Stride's features.
5. Will my Hipchat Cloud apps and bots work with Stride?
Many Hipchat apps and bots are being optimized for Stride, but you may find that some of the ones you used in Hipchat Cloud are not yet available in Stride. Don't worry though, we'll continue to ship new ones and keep you in-the-know on what we're releasing.
All Atlassian Cloud products work with Stride, as well as popular 3rd party applications like Giphy and Github.
6. Are there any changes to how rooms are managed in Hipchat Cloud versus Stride?
If your team had private rooms within Hipchat Cloud, they will now find those rooms manageable by anyone in the room in Stride. This means that any room member can change the name, topic, and invite new users to the room.
7. What does Stride cost?
Please see our Stride FAQs for more information and complete pricing.